Monday, 9 March 2015

That 70's skirt revisited! (Simplicity#5918)

Hello all!

What a weekend it's been!
I finally had time to sit down with my new (to me) sewing machine, and have a go at sewing again.
Let me tell you, it was great, but I disovered I was a bit rusty, and needed an easy project to begin with. So out came the skirt pattern I used for my 70's linen skirt. It's the Simplicity #5918. To date, that skirt has become my most worn item of all I've made, so another one would be a total win!

I pressed it. Honest.

I rummaged through my stash and declared I had nothing that was skirt appropriate, so there was a bit of shopping, too (win#2)! I got some cotton twill in a nice petrol blue that will go nicely with the Victory jumper I am currently knitting. After deciding I wanted to upgrade the first version a bit, I found some green acetate lining in my stash and made an effort to do it "properly". I even did french seams on the lining....oh la la.

Pretty innards :)

I also added pockets to this second version, because it is a rather plain skirt. I drafted them myself, and used one of Bertha's decorative stitches for embellishment on the opening edge. (What? Why, of course a gave my machine a name!) I didn't want top stitching on the pockets, and sewed them on from the inside. Which was a total b*tch on that curve, but I got the look I was after. Besides, challenges are good, however small :)

Small details  makes a big difference!

The hemming is always the worst part for me. I spent an entire day on this.... The hem on the first version looks rather aweful, the linen was so thick and I made them hem too deep for it to lay nicely. So I was determined to have this one look better. I wanted an invisible hem, and to make it extra fancy, I made bias tape out of lining material to cover the raw edge, and thus kept down the bulk. The hem was then hand sewn. Killed my back, but oh so worth it.

At this point, the thought of hemming that slippery lining too, struck the big fear in me and I got a bit creative. I just folded the edge once, and used the decor stitch again just on top of the raw edge and got a cool and easy hem that way. It looks great on both sides, so that goes into my success account! If anything, I am a bit annoyed that the lining ended up a little short, but I can live with that.

I know it's pathetic, but those pockets makes me proud!

I really like that bias bound hem.

All in all, I am very happy I made some extra effort with this skirt, as it turned out rather nice. I am also very happy with my machine. She sews like a dream!
Now, I just need to get a hook and bar to put in that waistband, and it's ready to wear. I know hanger-photos are kind of unenchanting, but I just had to share my excitement!

Did you make anything exciting this weekend? Do tell!


  1. Now that is just gorgeous - I love the way all the little details elevate a simple design into something special. I really never think of using the decorative stitches on machine. I'm going to have to remember to give them a try.

    1. Thank you, Danielle!
      I couldn't help but be inspired by my machine, it has so many fun features. The art is not overdoing it, now I want to embroider on ALL THE THINGS!

  2. Så fint skjørt! Deilig med mønster som man vet virker. Og veldig smart måte å legge opp foret på! Jeg holder også på med et skjørt for tiden, men jeg fant ut at jeg mangler forstoff. Har også bare en svart glidelås, og den bør nok være brun. Får prøve å få til en tur på Stoff&Stil i morgen. Jeg har faktisk en elektrisk rokk som heter Berta :-)

  3. It looks great! I love the decorative stitches!

  4. Such a lovely color! And all the fancy stitches really give it that special touch.

    1. Thanks, Kristin! I think so too, a little proves to go a long way :)

  5. I love the decorative stitching -- it makes it so unique and special. The color is lovely too -- we need to see a picture of you wearing it!

  6. Thank you Annie! I am waiting for the decent light and a good hair day! Fingers crossed!