Thursday 3 July 2014

A fiddly playsuit #1




Say hello to Simplicity #2444!
A gorgeous 40s playsuit pattern that I dug out of my stash sometime in early june.
I am making view 1 without the long skirt. I love how it looks like a little dress. Shorts and bodice are joined together with a set in waistband.

I was meaning to participate in a sew-along, but it all kind of ground to a halt when I realised the amount of fiddling involved with the bodice. 



The first bout of fiddling was getting the corner of the shoulder yoke and front piece to not look like something a blind chimp had sewn. I have little practice with  such details, but after ripping them and redoing a couple of times, I got my head around it and it was fine.

Next problem was how the armholes are constructed. The pattern said to cut 2 sleeves (I get that part) and then 2 pieces for facings. Only that the facings were amputated sort of. I cut all the pieces without much tought of it, but when I went to sew it up they wouldn't come together at the side seam.. So I drafted new pieces that were slightly longer so they could reach eachother (which also meant redoing the cornering bit).



Those pointy ends would not touch :(



Then it started to bug me how the facing edge showed through on the shoulders, and decided to make facings that mirrored the shoulder yoke.  
And that's where I am currently at. I have ripped off the old facings and attached the new ones. Next is a truckload of hand stitching.... Both collar and facings needs to be slip stitched in place. It is not my favorite bit.



Not a good look..
I was very enthusiastic when I started this pattern, but now I feel like I'm working on a wearable muslin. Even though the color combo is cute, I am not happy with the fabric. It is not the best quality cotton and the white is so see-through despite being middle weight. I have lots to learn still about fabrics, but I notice I am slowly beginning to get more picky about these things and look for better quality. In the process, I have become disenchanted with my local fabric store. While I previously found all kinds of lovely fabric (because of crazy/novelty prints and cheap remnants), I now struggle to find things I really want.

I guess it is natural as ones skills evolve :)

Stay tuned for the joining of the top and bottom, I can not help thinking I might get a surprise.
Murphy's law anyone?



12 comments:

  1. Don't be too frustrated, you sound as if you are learning new skills at each step and that is great:-), I'm sure it'll turn out just fine wearable muslin or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;) I try to keep my poise, but sometimes I get so fed up with all the re-doings. Especially when sewing time is limited. Oh well!
      I know it will be fine in the end, either finished or forgotten in the UFO pile :D

      Delete
  2. This is such a cute playsuit! Can't wait to see it finished! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good opaque white fabric is hard to find! That's one of the reasons I detest sewing with anything white! It's good that you are able to see mistakes and then go about fixing them. You'll learn loads that way. :) I almost never by fabric in person in a store because the quality is blah and I won't touch anything with polyester for day to day wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have really learned alot over the last year. Don't get me started on blah-quality... but choices are limited where I live, so you just have to put up with it. Buying online is daunting, as I am not sure what's what due to language differences. I'll get the hang of it, I'm sure :)

      Delete
  4. I like the gathering at the shoulder and the waist darts - I think it will look fabulous when it's finished. Keep going! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for cheering me on, Hoffi ;) I certainly can use the encouragement!

      Delete
  5. It's looking gorgeous! Perfect colour for summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle! Fingers crossed I finish before summer is over :)

      Delete
  6. You may need to take a break from sewing this and come back fresh! You picked gorgeous colors so I think it will look great once finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty fabric choices. There should be more aqua based polka dots in the world, if you ask me. I'm sorry that this playsuit project isn't going as you'd hoped, sweet dear. Fingers firmly crossed that it turns out positively in the end.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete