I finished, in time! Phew!
I am really happy to show you all my entry to the Sew for Victory 2.0 challenge. To be honest, I wasn't sure how this would go. This project was made using the Wearing History Sailor Girl playsuit pattern, one I have wanted to try for nearly a year. And it delivered! Just look at it! It is awesome!
|Ok ok , I know a big ass sombrero isn't very nautical.|
I didn't have time to sew one of those cute little
white hats. M'kay?
The shirt is made up in linen for a relaxed summery feel. I should probably gotten a higher quality linen fabric, as the fibres seem short and prone to breaking. But it will do! The design is so perfect, with a side zipper, shoulder pleats and that fabulous sailor collar! It also has a little scarf loop in the front, in the event of using an under collar scarf, which also is very stylish.
I used narrow satin ribbon for trim, and it turned out great. I was thinking about having two stripes, but figured any "wobbly-ness" would be twice as noticeable so I went for the one.
|Love that collar!|
The shorts are made using my infamous lobster fabric. The print is just so much fun (I really want a lobster dress too!!) and perfect for this playsuit. I had to underline the shorts, because the cotton fabric was really sheer and soft, not the right weight for this type of garment. I wanted it more sturdy. Making these in the midst of Easter, meaning fabric store was closed, I had to use some plain cotton muslin as underlining.
I worked out ok, but in hindsight I would have opted for a lighter fabric. It got kind of bulky in places and finishing the seams called for some creativity. The waist facings also has fusible interfacing, so bulk galore! They feel almost like jeans, but I don't mind (ask me again in the summer when there's a gazillion degrees out). Next time I make up this pattern I will try a loose/separate lining inside, and see how that works.
Oh yes, and then there was the issue of buttons. I actually find that to be the hardest part of any buttoned project. Usually I have no idea what I want, and end up finding 50 different nice ones that I spend hours trying to decide over. But this time I knew exactly what I wanted! But do you think ANY of the haberdashers had large red glossy buttons? Take a guess.
I was running out of time (and sanity) and decided to go for white instead. I found some with anchors on them, and nautical theme is a WIN! Besides, buttons are easily replaceable and if I find the perfect ones I'll just switch.
If yo are thinking of trying this pattern, do. It is great. The instructions are easy to follow, and the pieces come together wonderfully. I didn't make any adjustments other than lengthen the shirt by an inch or so. I also scooped the back of the neck opening on the shirt, as there was some pulling on top of the shoulders towards the front. Other than that, it fit me great right out of the envelope. Still, I am very glad I made muslins of both items. I helped me having a testrun, and eliminated any end result surprises.
That's all folks! Now, go! Make playsuits.
ROLL ON SUMMER!!!!